The land that is now Baldwin Park has a long and proud history of United States military service. From 1940, throughout World War II, and until 1968, the site was an Army Air Corps and Air Force base. In 1968, that base became the Orlando Naval Training Center (ONTC), where more than 650,000 naval recruits received basic training until the base closed in 1999. Lake Baldwin and Baldwin Park take their names from Robert H. B. Baldwin, former under secretary of the Navy. A Veterans Park on the northern shore of Lake Baldwin has been created to commemorate that 60-year period of history. For more about the history, read Navy Base to Neighborhood: The Baldwin Park Story.